Staff - Contact us:





Closed on Holidays



Polk County Health Department 

100 Polk County Plaza
Suite 180
Balsam Lake, WI 54810







After Hours Emergency Phone Number

Call 715-485-8300 or 911 in an Emergency to report:

  • Public Health Emergencies
  • Communicable Disease Outbreaks
  • Environmental Health Hazards
  • Bioterrorism Incidents

Why does the Polk County Health Department (PCHD) need this information?  The Polk County Health Department is required by law to report and investigate events that may affect the public's health.  This is why it is important for us to hear from you when you suspect an uncommon illness or event.  To learn more about the health department's requirements, please click here.



Community Services Division


Behavioral Health Department


Children and Families Dept


Polk County Wisconsin


Healthy Polk County





Community Health

Improvement Processes

Healthy Polk County 2020
Healthy Polk County 2020 vs 2014-2016 fi[...]
Adobe Acrobat document [1.7 MB]
Healthy Polk County 2020
Healthy Polk County 2020 vs 2014-2016 fi[...]
Adobe Acrobat document [1.7 MB]
Healthiest Wisconsin 2020
Healthiest Wisconsin 2020.pdf
Adobe Acrobat document [3.6 MB]
Polk County Community Health Needs Assessment 2016
CHA 2016.pdf
Adobe Acrobat document [518.9 KB]
2017 Update to the Community Health Needs Assessment (CHNA)
2017 CHA Update WEBSITE.pdf
Adobe Acrobat document [529.5 KB]

Find us on Facebook

WIC/Public Health Nutrition

 PCHD's nutrition services include:

  • Women, Infants and Children (WIC) which provides nutrition and breastfeeding education, access to nutritious foods and improved healthcare access for low and moderate-income families. At WIC, we talk a lot about mom's. But we are here to help everyone who cares for infants and children, including dads, grandparents and foster parents. 
  • Breastfeeding  Breast milk is the healthiest food for your baby. PCHD and WIC support breastfeeding as the norm for infant feeding and support families to achieve their breastfeeding goals.  
  • Nutrition counseling - A WIC nutritionist will talk with you about your familys' nutrition, provide tips on planning healthy meals and shopping on a budget.
  • Fit Families - Families identify health habits they want to improve for their child and/or family. Fit Families is avaible to families who have a 2 or 3 year old. 

Cost of services:



Call 715-485-8520 to learn more about any of these services.

WIC promotes teaching baby behavior to families.

Polk County Resources for Families Brochure
Adobe Acrobat document [106.7 KB]
Polk County Food Resource Directory
Polk County Food Resource Directory Revi[...]
Adobe Acrobat document [372.9 KB]
Polk County WIC Consent Form for Release of Information
WIC release of information 112515.pdf
Adobe Acrobat document [38.9 KB]
Medical Assistance/Badgercare Release form 2017
MA Release form - english 112017.pdf
Adobe Acrobat document [118.6 KB]

Polk County WIC Schedule
Call for appointment


2nd Tues. of every month
10am - 1pm
2pm - 5:30pm


1st Lutheran Church

Balsam Lake

1st or 2nd Friday,
8:45am - 2:30pm

(see calendar)


1st Tuesday

10:00am - 6:30pm


2nd Wednesday

8:30am- 4:00pm

2nd Thursday

8:45am - 3:30pm

3rd Tuesday

9:00-11:30am - 3:00-5:30pm

4th week., 8:45am - 3:30pm

(see calendar)

Balsam Lake hours may vary


Health Department

USDA Nondiscrimination Statement

Effective October 14, 2015

English, Spanish, Hmong Versions




In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race,

color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA. 


Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits.  Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339.  Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.


To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at:, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:


(1)        mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture

Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights

1400 Independence Avenue, SW

Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;


(2)        fax: (202) 690-7442; or


(3)        email:


This institution is an equal opportunity provider.







De conformidad con la Ley Federal de Derechos Civiles y los reglamentos y políticas de derechos civiles del Departamento de Agricultura de los EE. UU. (USDA, por sus siglas en inglés), se prohíbe que el USDA, sus agencias, oficinas, empleados e instituciones que participan o administran programas del USDA discriminen sobre la base de raza, color, nacionalidad, sexo, discapacidad, edad, o en represalia o venganza por actividades previas de derechos civiles en algún programa o actividad realizados o financiados por el USDA.


Las personas con discapacidades que necesiten medios alternativos para la comunicación de la información del programa (por ejemplo, sistema Braille, letras grandes, cintas de audio, lenguaje de señas americano, etc.), deben ponerse en contacto con la agencia (estatal o local) en la que solicitaron los beneficios. Las personas sordas, con dificultades de audición o discapacidades del habla pueden comunicarse con el USDA por medio del Federal Relay Service [Servicio Federal de Retransmisión] al (800) 877-8339. Además, la información del programa se puede proporcionar en otros idiomas.


Para presentar una denuncia de discriminación, complete el Formulario de Denuncia de Discriminación del Programa del USDA, (AD-3027) que está disponible en línea en: y en cualquier oficina del USDA, o bien escriba una carta dirigida al USDA e incluya en la carta toda la información solicitada en el formulario. Para solicitar una copia del formulario de denuncia, llame al (866) 632-9992. Haga llegar su formulario lleno o carta al USDA por:


(1)        correo: U.S. Department of Agriculture

Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights

1400 Independence Avenue, SW

Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;


(2)          fax: (202) 690-7442; o


(3)          correo electrónico:


Esta institución es un proveedor que ofrece igualdad de oportunidades.





Print Print | Sitemap
© Polk County Health Dept.

This website was created using 1&1 MyWebsite.